Application Guide for International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship 2021 (Zhejiang University）
For the purpose of satisfying the growing demand of the international community for Chinese language teachers and facilitating Chinese language education in other countries. the Center For Language Education And Cooperation (CLEC) will continue with the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship. Confucius Institutes independently operated Confucius Classrooms, certain HSK test centers, Chinese language (education) departments of foreign universities, professional associations for Chinese language instruction of other countries, Chinese embassies (consulates) abroad (collectively “recommending institutions”) may recommend outstanding students and currently-employed Chinese language teachers to study International Chinese Language Education or related majors in Chinese universities and colleges.
Details of the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship 2021 (Zhejiang University）are provided as follows.
All applicants shall be:
- a) non-Chinese citizens;
- b) in good physical and mental conditions, and with good academic performance and conduct;
- c) committed to the Chinese language education and related work;
- d) between the ages of 16 and 35 (as of September 1st, 2021). Applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall not be over 45.
SCHOLARSHIP TYPES AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Scholarship for Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL)
The program commences in September 2021 and provides scholarships for a maximum of two academic years.
Applicants shall hold a Bachelor’s degree, and have a minimum score of 210 on the HSK Test (Level 5) as well as 60 on the HSKK test (Intermediate Level). Priority will be given to applicants who may provide a work contract with a teaching institution upon completing their studies in China or proof to the same effect.
- Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study（Chinese Language and Literature）
The program commences in September 2021 and provides scholarships for a maximum of eleven months. International students currently studying in China are not eligible.
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 on the HSK test (Level 4) and 60 on the HSKK test (Intermediate Level).
- Scholarship for One-Semester Study（Chinese Language and Literature）
The program commences either in September 2021 or March 2022 and provides a scholarship of a maximum of five months. Applicants holding the X1 or X2 visa are not eligible.
Applicants shall have a minimum score of 180 on the HSK test (Level 3), and an HSKK test score is required.
- Scholarship for One-Semester Online Program
The program commences in March 2022. Applicants shall have an HSK test score. Chinese language teachers who can provide employment contracts and recommendation letters from the teaching institute do not need to provide HSK certificates.
SCHOLARSHIP COVERAGE and CRITERIA
The Scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fees, accommodation fees, living allowance, and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
The scholarship for the online program only covers the tuition fee.
For details, please refer to the website: （http://cis.chinese.cn）
WHEN TO APPLY
Online registration will be available from March 1, 2021
The application deadlines (Beijing Time) are:
- a)May 10th2021 (for those commencing in September 2021)
- b)November 10th2021 (for those commencing in March 2022)
- For application, please log on to the JU online application system（link） and the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship website（link） to complete the Application Form online, and upload the scanned copies of relevant supporting documents before the above deadlines. Incomplete application will NOT be processed.
Please note: There is NO need for the delivery of hard copies of the application materials. Hard copies of the application materials will NOT be reviewed and further processed.
Documents for Application
For all applicants:
- a scanned copy of passport photo page;
- a scanned copy of score reports of the HSK and HSKK tests (within the two-year validity);
- a reference letter by the head of the recommending institutions.
- Applicants currently working as Chinese language teachers shall provide proof of employment as well as a reference letter by the employer.
- Applicants under the age of 18 shall provide certified documents of designation signed by their entrusted legal guardians in China.
For applicants of Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages:
- Highest degree certificates, which must be original documents or notarized copies.
If applicants are university students, they shall provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating the expected graduation date. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
- Academic transcripts during Bachelor’s degree study, which must be original documents or notarized copies. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized translations in Chinese or English.
- Personal statement, in Chinese, should include study and work experience, reasons for application, and study proposal. No less than 1500 words.
- Two letters of recommendation from full professors or associate professors, in Chinese or English. (Professors’ signature, contact phone number, and email address must be put on the letter.)
- Published academic papers or other academic achievements. (If any)
- 2021 version of Form for Provisional Acceptance of International Student by ZJU Supervisor,(Download). (If any)
Applicants shall provide the above form for professors to fill. Old versions will not be accepted.
- Notarized employment agreement with teaching institutions. (If any)
- An applicant who has given up their original Chinese citizenship and becomes foreign citizens shall provide the documents certifying the cancellation of Chinese nationality, according to the policy of the Ministry of Education of the PRC.
- If the applicant has acquired foreign citizenship automatically at the time of birth in a foreign country, whose parents are both Chinese citizens, or one of the parents is a Chinese citizen, please provide
 documents certifying acquiring foreign citizenship at the time of birth;
 documents certifying parents’ (with Chinese citizenship) permanent residence in a foreign country before the birth of applicants.
- Please contact recommending institutions:
- Confucius Institutes and Confucius classrooms have been in operation for more than six months. For more information, please refer to www.hanban.org.
- Testing centers for the Chinese Proficiency Test (HSK) have the right to recommend candidates. For information, please refer to www.chinesetest.cn.
- Oversea organizers of Chinese Bridge Competition: education and cultural offices (groups) of China’s overseas embassies (consulates), Confucius Institute, and relevant educational institutions. For further information, please consult email@example.com.
III. Host institutions will review the eligibility of applicants, and CLEC will conduct an overall assessment of all applications and admit applicants on the basis of competitive selection. The results will be published about three months before school starts.
- After confirming with the successful applicants, host institutions will post the Admission documents. A copy of the scholarship certificate can be printed out from the scholarship website. The student should register at Zhejiang University at the designated date and time as per the letter of admission.
CHINESE BRIDGE AWARD RECIPIENT POLICIES
Chinese Bridge winners who have been awarded the 2021 International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship Certificate shall log onto the International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship website and ZJU online application system and submit documents upon presentation of their scholarship certificates. For inquiry, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- a) Degree students shall accept the annual assessment according to theAnnual Appraisal Procedures of International Chinese Language Teachers Scholarship.
- b) Those who failed to register on time, failed to pass the health assessment, dropped out midway and/or suspended will be deprived of scholarship.
- c) Admitted applicants of MTCSOL program are required to provide the original copies of academic degree certificates; those who fail to provide the original copies will be disqualified for the enrollment.